Caring for Our Communities: COVID-19 Updates and Information
Mask Use in Our Store and HB294
Associated Retail Operations (ARO) recognizes that grocery stores are an essential place of business for the communities we serve. To help mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus, we will continue to work alongside our state and county health departments by requiring mask use, as it is stated in the current order, and the order after April 10th, requiring masks in places where it is challenging to socially distance, or that have 50 or more people.
ARO also feels it is imperative that masks be worn in our stores until our team and partners have had the opportunity to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Team members and vendors at all Macey’s, Dan’s, Dick’s, Lin’s and Fresh Market stores will continue to wear masks and we urge our guests to wear masks while shopping with us.
Keeping You, Your Family and Our Team Members SafeUnder the guidance of local officials, we have implemented a variety of precautionary measures and will continue to do so as the situation unfolds. These include:
- Employees are required to social distance whenever possible.
- Employees are required to take temperature checks as they arrive at work.
- Employees and vendors are required to wear a mask or face covering while at work. Read our policy here
- Guests are required to wear a face covering, with exemptions for those who are medically unable to do so.
- A COVID-19 emergency leave policy was introduced to assist team members if they get sick or need to care for a family member who gets sick during the pandemic.
- Hand sanitizer is provided for team members for frequent use.
- Carts, pin pads, and grocery belts are sanitized after each use.
- All sanitizing procedures have been reinforced and cleaning has increased in frequency, including implementation of a rigorous hourly cleaning checklist for high-frequency touchpoints, like bathrooms and freezer door handles.
- In-store signage communicates COVID-19 symptoms and encourages best practices.
- Safety shields, a plexiglass barrier at check stands, help encourage better social distancing.
- Social distancing floor graphics mark where guests should stand for proper social distancing.
- As is standard practice in all food-handling departments, team members are required to wash their hands and wear protective gloves. Changing of gloves between every transaction is also a policy we have implemented in our fresh departments.
- Center for Disease Control’s materials are in all restrooms and breakrooms.
- We suspended all sampling and sampling events in stores until further notice.
- Common seating areas have been modified to encourage safe, social distancing.
- We temporarily suspended the use of reusable and refillable cups in our stores.
- We asked any partners or team members that have traveled internationally to not come back to work immediately following their return.
- We trained and implemented step-by-step protocols for dealing with a sick team member or shopper.
How You Can HelpAs you shop with us, we would ask that you:
- Consider wearing a mask and following all signage.
- Use cart wipes on regular and hand carts.
- If you are sick, we ask that you ask a friend or family member shop for you until you are well.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- If visiting our restrooms or when blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. If the restroom is unavailable, please use one of the hand-sanitizer stations that are available throughout the store.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Please maintain social distance of at least six feet. Avoid shaking hands or giving hugs.
- If you get sick while in the store, please leave or if emergency assistance is needed, please contact a team member immediately.
- If you are uncomfortable shopping in the store, we encourage you to use our online shopping service where we offer both curbside pickup and delivery. The Skip mobile app is another option available in all our stores and can help reduce interaction with our store front-line team members. The app allows you to scan your own groceries from your phone and bypass the normal checkout lines.